DARDIS, GF, MCCABE, AM and MITCHELL, WI (1984) Characteristics and origins of lee-side stratification sequences in late pleistocene drumlins, northern Ireland. EARTH SURFACE PROCESSES AND LANDFORMS, 9 (5). pp. 409-424. [Journal article]
Full text not available from this repository.
Spindle- and parabolic-shaped drumlins examined at fifty-five localities in northern Ireland possess stratification sequences on their lee-side flanks. These forms lack the distinctive steep stoss- and tapering lee-ends of classical drumlins and tend to occur in linear zones transverse to late Pleistocene ice-flow. In most cases (90 per cent) the stratified deposits infill embayments excavated in the lee-side of barkhanoid forms and, in the remainder (10 per cent), they are superimposed on the lee-side of whaleback forms. The stratification sequences developed as a result of sedimentation in interconnected subglacial water-filled cavities and are unlike remanie proglacial sediments moulded by ice into drumlin form. Stratigraphic evidence indicates that the lee-side sequences developed during drumlin streamlining, which supports the view that subglacial hydraulic processes played an important role in drumlin formation.
|Item Type:||Journal article|
|Faculties and Schools:||Faculty of Life and Health Sciences > School of Geography and Environmental Sciences|
Faculty of Life and Health Sciences
|Research Institutes and Groups:||Environmental Sciences Research Institute > Quaternary Environmental Change|
Environmental Sciences Research Institute
|Deposited By:||Mrs Linda Allen|
|Deposited On:||04 Sep 2012 10:38|
|Last Modified:||04 Sep 2012 10:38|
Repository Staff Only: item control page